Prenatal Chiropractic care facilitates the mother’s nerve system just as a prenatal supplement facilitates her nutrition. Chiropractic during pregnancy offers the mother and baby many benefits.
Congratulations! You are embarking on a journey that will forever remind you of exactly how miraculous life really is. When you first discover that you are expecting a baby, everything changes. You begin taking prenatal supplements, sleeping more, eating healthier. As you begin preparing for your new arrival, your body begins growing. And growing. And you begin to wonder how long nine months truly can be. As your womb expands, ligaments are pulled to their most extreme tension and your spine must carry extra weight. Discomfort is almost inevitable the last few weeks, but by taking care of yourself, you will make the most out of being pregnant.
How It Aids the Mother
- Prepares the pelvis for an easier birth by creating a state of balance in the pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments
- Removes tension on the ligaments that support the uterus, reducing torsion to the womb
- Reduces interference to the mother’s vital nerve system which controls and co-ordinates all of her systems and functions
- Allows the baby room to develop without restrictions to its forming cranium, spine and other structures providing optimal neural development
- Offers the baby room to move in to the best possible position for birth
- With proper Fetal positioning, there is a significant decrease in dystocia (abnormal or difficult labor) and the resulting birth trauma caused by intervention
A specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment for all pregnant women, this technique facilitates balance in the pelvic and abdominal muscles and ligaments that reduces constraint to the woman’s uterus. This allows the baby to get into the best position for birth. Any position of the baby other than vertex (head down) may indicate the presence of sacral subluxation and therefore result in intra-uterine constraint. It is strongly recommended that the sacrum be adjusted throughout pregnancy.
When To Get Adjusted
A general recommendation for treatment is whenever the baby has a growth spurt or any sharp pains in the round ligament area, groin, legs or lower back. A good rule of thumb is anytime you visit your health care provider starting at 20 weeks. If you sit at a desk or stand in place for a majority of the day, a generalized recommendation would be every two weeks after 24 weeks. If you are having difficulty taking a deep breath or pain that is a sign that you should get in right away! Every baby deserves to have a happy and balanced momma. Most moms all agree that they are in a better mood upon rising from the table and EVEN feel lighter!